Below you can find the patch, movies, the demo, wallpapers, ad images, chat logs, a scripting editor, a spell manager, unofficial enhancements and unofficial expansions/modifications for the Baldur's Gate II series. Many of the files at PlanetBaldursGate can also be accessed through the Baldur's Gate section at FilePlanet.
Note: Owners of Baldur's Gate II: The Collection DO NOT need any of the patches listed. The Collection has the patches applied.
Top 50 Files
For the most popular Baldur's Gate II files, check out the Top 50 List.
Baldur's Gate II Patch
BioWare has released a Baldur's Gate II patch, version 23037, which fixes many issues.
Throne of Bhaal Patches
BioWare has released a patch, version 26498, for Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal to fix several issues.
BioWare has released a Beta patch, version 26499, for Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal to fix save game load times.
- Throne of Bhaal official trailer in hi-res (16.6 MB)or low-res (7.8 MB). The movie is 0:50 in length. (released 5/7/01)
- Black Isle Studios released a movie for Baldur's Gate II at E3. It is 1:00 in length. (13.7 MB, released 5/11/00)
- Incite Magazine made a movie showing in-game action. The movie is 1:30 in length. (14.7 MB, released 5/8/00)
- Saum the Grey made a movie of a Druid Soloing Draconis on Insane difficulty. (50.8 MB, released 6/9/05)
Baldur's Gate II Demo
We have teamed up with Interplay and BioWare to bring the Baldur's Gate II demo to FilePlanet.The Baldur's Gate II demo covers chapter one of the game in which you must find a way out of your captor's prison. This demo uses a complete version of the game engine so you will be able to create your character, watch the movies, talk with non-player characters and fight. You can import your character and saved game into Baldur's Gate II if you decide to purchase the game. The demo does not have multiplayer enabled.
The demo is an amazing 640 MB, so it available as 7 seperate downloads. All 7 are required:
BioWare made three wallpapers featuring a tomb, laboratory, and an Athkatlan temple, respectively. (released 2/17/00)
||Constant Gaw made a wallpaper at 1024 x 768 and 1280 x 1024 resolutions based on Baldur's Gate II portraits. (400 kbB, released 9/28/00)
||Adam Miller developed a wallpaper at 1024 x 768 resolution of new and old portraits. (255 kB, released 8/7/00)
||Sanjay "Star-Fyre" Shanbhag has created a wallpaper at 1024 x 768 resolution based on initial screenshots from the game. (1.4 MB, released 11/15/99)
||Jerry "Ðï§g®üÑt£éd ê$K¡Mø" LeNeave has created a wallpaper at 1024 x 768 resolution. (292 kB, released 04/09/02)
This large, two-page ad for Baldur's Gate II was scanned from the March issue of Computer Gaming World. (released 3/1/00)
A second ad featuring Imoen. (released 6/21/00, submitted by Josh
The following are logs of the various official BG2 chats:
Brent Knowles, a designer on Baldur's Gate II, created a program called ScriptW
to assist in writing scripts. It is not an unofficial release but should be useful for anyone trying to create scripts. More information can be found at Brent's site
and in the Readme
file. (263 kB, released 10/3/00)
Galthariel and Khor Hammerblade have released a freeware Spell Manager
for Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal. This nifty utility was made to help you manage your known/scribed spells when you shop for additional spells. Microsoft Access 2000 or XP required. Read the readme file for full details.
David Gaider's Throne of Bhaal Unofficial Enhancements
David Gaider, the Senior Designer for Throne of Bhaal, has released some unofficial enhancements that were requested by fans. Even though he made these modifications, they are not official BioWare patches. They are not guaranteed to work and are not supported by BioWare in any way. In other words, try them at your own risk
. If they don't work or break your game, don't bug BioWare or David about it.
The readme files (other than Ascension) are used with permission from Kevin Dorner of Baldurdash
- Ascension (4 MB): This mod involves changes to the battles in the last chapter of Throne of Bhaal that often have many more enemies and spell effects going off on-screen than are found normally in the official release of the expansion. Unlike the other mods that I've worked on for Throne of Bhaal (the "improved" battle series below), the Ascension isn't all about making the combat more challenging. It's about making the ending to Throne of Bhaal longer, more fun and a little more fulfilling. The mod mostly affects the end part of the game, starting at the very end of Chapter 9 when you meet with Balthazar and climaxing at the site of the ascension in the Throne of Bhaal. This mod replaces in full the Improved Balthazar mod. The new Balthazar is probably just as powerful...but a lot smarter and less cheesy...that is, if you fight him. Please read the readme file for full disclaimers and installation instructions.
- Ascension Patch Ver 1.4 (25 kB): Small update for Ascension to fix a few bugs listed below:
- If Sarevok couldn't see Irenicus, he didn't initiate dialogue with him.
- Sarevok's portrait still visible after he betrayed the party.
- Sarevok's forced timers for his second and third banters with the PC weren't working.
- Minsc's Enrage ability had its stun immunity removed (it should have it).
- PC using upgraded Slayer/Ravager and still receiving damage upon returning to human form.
- Mind Flayer collars working on Irenicus. (they shouldn't)
- Dialogue dead-end with Melissan when Sarevok was not in the group but not dead, Balthazar had not been convinced to join the group & Difficult was at Core+.
- Dialogue dead-end with Balthazar when using an Evil-aligned PC
- Improved Abazigal (15 kB): This mod is crazy-hard. Some fans were requesting a
multiple-dragon battle, so here it is, complete with drakes and a
psionics-using purple dragon. This mod is only for the hardcore...and should
probably only be used by those possessing systems in the upper range of the
specs. For installation and uninstallation instructions view the readme.
- Improved Balthazar (10 kB): Balthazar is supposed to be the most powerful of the Five, yet many players were so high level when they reached him that they just turned on Greater Whirlwind and chopped him to pieces within seconds. This optional
mod gives him some more speed and a couple of extra abilities...plus some
students that share some of his powers...turning this into a much funner and
more challenging fight. For installation and uninstallation instructions view the readme.
- Improved Bhaalspawn powers (5 kB): These are some extra Bhaalspawn abilities that the player was originally going to develop as he played out the challenges in the pocket plane, but they were cut in favor of the high-level abilities for all classes. There is a different set for good and evil, although many players are going to
find that they get a mix of them. Perhaps the only negative is that it may be difficult to figure out what a couple of the powers do, as there is no way to get descriptions for special abilities (These can be found in the readme). For installation and uninstallation instructions view the readme.
- Improved Demogorgon (2 kB): Prior to ship, the fight with Demogorgon was a lot
harder. We figured, however, that even though this was an optional fight,
there were going to be a lot of people who figured that they had to kill
Demogorgon and would get frustrated because of how difficult he is. So he was
toned down. At the request of some players on the BIS message board, the
original difficulty was restored. For installation and uninstallation instructions view the readme.
- Improved Gromnir (22 kB): This adds new creatures, AI and abilities to the battle with Gromnir Il-Khan. It's just a little spruce-up to a fight that I thought was a little boring...it makes Gromnir a bit more formidable and gives both him and the other Bhaalspawn with him some extra abilities and better scripting. I'm told it's of moderate difficulty but quite fun. For installation and uninstallation instructions view the readme.
- Improved Illasera (8 kB): This greatly increases the difficulty of this first Throne Of Bhaal encounter, adding to her skills, weapons, AI and the strength of her group. It is not very high difficulty, as a battle right at the beginning of the game shouldn't be, but it does make Illasera a credible opponent and member of the Five. She's a ranger/archer now, which was her original concept before we were forced to make the battle much, much easier (since people could potentially meet her with a single, newly-created sorcerer... and since the fight was unavoidable, those who couldn't get past it would be quite frustrated.) This version makes it so that you always meet the tougher Illasera as well as all her companions, so those who go into ToB with a weak character might want to stick with the original version. For installation and uninstallation instructions view the readme.
- Improved Yaga Shura (23 kB): This improves the size and variety of Yaga Shura's army, Yaga Shura's toughness and AI. It makes the last fight with Yaga-Shura a bit more of a tussle...the army spawns have been increased in number and given better AI (as well as had some low-level mages and clerics thrown into the mix). Yaga-Shura himself has been given some better powers and AI, including his lieutenants. And his invulnerability slowly wears off during the course of the battle with him, making this fight a bit trickier. One caution: a couple of times crashes were reported soon after Yaga-Shura re-appears. I was not able to verify if this was due to a specific bug or due to too much graphic overload, but it does seem to be rare regardless. For installation and uninstallation instructions view the readme.
Huge thanks to David for putting these out for the fans. We appreciate it immensely.
- The Darkest Day 1.0.3 (302 MB): Richard Haines & Max Schnur, in cooperation with TeamBG, have made an unofficial expansion for Baldur's Gate II. It includes 46 new quests, 9 new NPCs, 39 new creatures, 180+ new items, 170+ new spells, and 75 new kits. New to version 1.0.3: Now works with both Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal.
- The Darkest Day Patch Ver 1.0.3 (36 MB): Patch to fix minor issues and bugs for those that have an older version. New to version 1.0.3: Now works with both Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal.
- Epic Endeavours v1.0.0 (57 MB): Louis "Elhoe" Ho, using TeamBG tools, has made an unofficial expansion for Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. In this partial conversion you will play through a whole adventure without any links to the original game. It includes 60 new areas, 13 new missions, new items, new creatures and a final fight with over 200 creatures.
- Shadows Over Soubar v1.0.0 (298 MB): Charles Bisson, using TeamBG tools, has made an unofficial expansion for Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. Shadows Over Soubar features 4 new NPC's with their own related quests, 1 new kit for the thief class, 1 new stronghold, over 100 new areas: both new or recycled, over 400 new creatures, over 400 new items, over 20 new stores and over 30 mini-quests and 2 major quests.
- Kelsey NPC v1.0.3 Full (16.4 MB): A male human sorcerer NPC add-on which brings a new romance for female PCs (including a conflict with Anomen), and dozens of new banters and scenery character interactions. Kelsey includes new enemies to fight and over 200 original voice clips. Kelsey works with both SOA and TOB installations.
- Kelsey-TOB V1 (13.5 MB): The TOB content portion of Kelsey. Adds thousands of new lines, new voice clips, countless new NPC banters, two Romances, an interlude with Cespenar, sorcery of epic proportions and more.
- Tashia NPC (1.4 MB): A female elven sorcerer add-on which adds a romance for male PCs, new enemies to fight, and new party interaction. Tashia works in TOB only.
These files ARE NOT
supported by Interplay, Black Isle Studios or BioWare in any way, shape or form. You should download and install them at your own risk